Saturday, September 01, 2007

Bottom of the Sea and other things


The "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson was a great book. I recommend it, even if you don't remember episodes of Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges. People defying the deep in this true tale reads like a detective novel. My dad, efter receiving the book from his marine biologist granddaughter was taken with the story and that is how the book landed in my hands. As I looked for more information on the net I found that a movie of the book is planned, with director Peter Weir. Should be worth seeing.
I have read one rather bad book recently. It is "See Isabelle Run" by Elizabeth Bloom. I bought the book because I really had fun reading Beth Saulnier's series about Alex Bernier. Elizabeth is Beth, but with married name. The whole book falls flat, a predictable uninteresting story, and I have decided not to by the next Elizabeth Bloom book. I also read a Tami Hoag book called "Straight from the Heart" that my mother picked up for me. The problem with people that start getting read because they do a good (or at least popular) book is that they feel the need to publish their early works. The book is a romance and reading it was a lesson in how stupid a book can be. I think Tami would have done better to bury the whole thing - but, Hey! she probably made a buck fifty on the book I got. Only positive things about these two books was that it was easy to pull myself away from them and get some work done.
A more pleasant discovery was "True Crime" by Andrew Klavan. On searching the net I found that Clint Eastwood had made a movie of the book in 1999 (quite a family affair, 2 wives and a daughter of family Eastwood were in the movie). But in the movie the condemed man is sudden black - one of the important points of the book was that he was white - an example of how not only blacks were condemed to die in Missouri. Oh well, books are almost always better anyway. My library has a few books by Klavan, so I'm looking forward to reading more of his work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home