Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Busy, busy

I've been away - but have also spent a lot of time rereading the entire Sharon McCone series. Marcia Muller's SF detective is an interesting read - I am still missing the book called "Double", which is a joint effort with her husband.
Other books I've gone through are "Mission Canyon" by Meg Gardiner. The heroine Evan and her boyfriend Jesse investigate the accident that caused him to loose the use of his legs. Interestingly I looked for books by Gardiner in every book store I visited in the US, but not a one had any for sale. Neither did the library have any on the shelf, wonder why?
I picked up "In this Rain" by S.J. Rozan. This is her latest effort, but I got it for only $1. I rather liked Joe Cole and Ann Montgomery, who as protagonists worked for a special NY unit that investigated building/real estate crimes. I'm hoping for a new Bill & Lydia book by Rozan. She is working on a new book, but I don't know what it will be about
My own library here in Uppsala provided me with "The Janissary Tree" by Jason Goodwin. This is an historical detective novel - set in the Ottoman Empire. It was an enjoyable and enlightening read and I look forward to more books by this author. Another library find was the next (for me) in the Tom Thorne series by Mark Billingham. He is partial to short (often one word) titles and this book is no exception, it is called "Buried". I enjoyed this book for the slightly cracked characters and the fact that the end was rather a surprise (not so often for me, I usually figure it out before the detective does). On Billingham's web site there is interesting information about Thorne and lots of reader comments about possible actors to play Thorne on TV. Not easy to do.
My library did me up with a book by Joy Fielding called Heartstopper (which I've commented on earlier), so on discovering that my mother had "Mad River Road" (the previous book) I decided to read it - my advice to others is not to bother. I will probably not seek out another Joy Fielding in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home