Saturday, June 30, 2007

Evan (California) and Alex (New York)

I have been travelling a bit - first to Gothenburg for a rainy, but very nice Mid-summer. The choice of books gets limited by what is available at the pocket shop and I bought "Kill Chain" by Meg Gardiner. So I met up with character Evan Delaney - called Kit (for Kathleen) by her kidnapped father. She also has a boyfriend; lawyer, wheelchair-bound athlete. California and Santa Barbara figured into the equation. A good read, but I will probably donate the book to our book-table at work.
While in Gothenburg I started rereading a series that I stumbled upon a few years ago. The author is Beth Saulnier and her heroine is journalist Alex Bernier. There are actually five books in the series, but I've only been able to locate three "Distemper", "The Fourth Wall", and "Bad Seed". The last book is particularly interesting for me right now as it is about GMOs and one of my grad students is finishing up her PhD on GMOs. The setting for the novels is a fictive upper New York college town, a cover for Ithaca and Cornell. Alex, her colleague Jake Madison (aka Mad), and her policeman friend Brian Cody get into all sorts of tigh spots. I'm trying to locate the first and last books in the series, but so far no success. Saulnier's web site doesn't seem to be working so you kind of wonder what she has been doing. She also writes under the name Elisabeth Bloom (which is her married name).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should read this.

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home