Sunday, May 06, 2007

Mallory and Axel

My library came through for me once again. The latest book in Carol O'Connell's Mallory series "Shark Music" was obviously high on their list and by reserving the book I think I was the first or second person to get to read it. In this book Mallory takes off to follow Route 66. Boy, does that bring back memories - the old TV series and the times we followed that road driving from California to Texas. They are clearly a lot of Route 66 buffs judging by all the websites. Mallory's journey is one of nostalgia, to a certain extent. But being Mallory she also get involved with a serial killer. I do like the characters and even played hookey from work to finish the book. There is speculation that this might be the last in the series, but only time will tell.
As I was at the library to pick up the Mallory book I cruised the stacks and brought away "The Song before it is Sung" by Justin Cartwright. The book is about a the fate of a patriotic German in the 30's and 40's. The story goes back and forth from present time to the historical tale. The protagonist is a 35 year old man who is caught up in the letters of an Oxford don to a German count It started slow, but just got better and better. I guess I will see if the library has anymore books by Justin Cartwright.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home