Saturday, April 28, 2007

Miami, Seville, and Oregon

I usually visit my library when picking up the various books I reserve, but sometimes I have time to browse the stacks as well. Last browsing event I came up with an author I like, Gail Godwin, and a new book "Queen of the Underworld". The link will take you to Godwin's home page with a synopsis of the book. I enjoyed the story of a Miami that will never be seen again - that of the late 50ties - when everyone thought that it was only a short time before Fidel would be brought down (and here we are 50 years later and he's still there).
Another way to track books is to "tag" them at your local (or not so local) internet book store. This way I got the latest Javier Falcón book "The Hidden Assassins" by Robert Wilson. The book starts a bit slow and heavy, but it becomes (as many of Wilson's other efforts) un-put-downable. All the characters from the earlier books are there - it makes you want to start the series again. This is a good book or at least I thought so.
The Oregon in the title is from the "really light weight" book of the week. One of the local book stores is selling out English paperbacks and with the low price and the "take 4 pay for 3" deal, I got some reading material. "Wild Justice" by Philip Margolin was among the books I bought for all of 3 dollars. I've read Margolin before and his previous books are okay. This one was okay too - except for the fact that I figured out the "clever twist" before I was even half way through the book - kind of takes the edge off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home