Saturday, March 24, 2007

India, New York and home from Peru

I read Kiran Desai's "Inheritance of Loss" on the plane home from Peru. It was well written and I liked the combination of solemn truths about colonialism and the farce-like characters. If you are interested there is a good review in the New York Times. Just one negative comment the text in the book was very small, bad for us oldies. I guess I might just try to find her first book Hullabaloo in the Guava Forest.
The New York connection is two books by Jonathan Santlofer - "The Death Artist" and "Color Blind". Some time ago I wrote about The Killing Art (book 3) by the same author. These two book give the background for the third book. The heroine (Kate McKinnon Rothstein) is an ex-cop who got a PhD in art after marrying rich. Don't know why, but I guess it is easier to write about rich people. With unlimited resources they can conjour up any needs to move the plot along. A fourth book will be out soon, but according to Santlofers home page it probably isn't going to feature Kate.
I'm back from Peru, about a week now. Still a bit jet-lagged, but busy as usual. Time to move the clocks forward and it is light in the morning, a sure sign that spring is nearing us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home