Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Snow, sun, and London blitz

Some of the villages I visited in the Huancayo area of Peru had statues of dancing people. Rather a refreshing change from old politicians. It seems that several important folk dances are said to have originated in this area. Unfortunately, we didn't see a demonstration. This morning at 6 we left the highlands of Peru, it was rather cold and rainy, but green and lovely. After several hours we had ascended to the highest point and there was LOTS of snow. We had passed the same place only on Monday morning, but it had evidently snowed alot during the 48 hours that had passed. I saw my first group of llamas here in Peru, huddling in the snow.
Within two hours of passing the summit and the deep snow we were back in Lima - thereof the sun.
Bet you are wondering about the blitz. Well that is the latest book I've read - "The Night Watch" by Sarah Waters. I had read her earlier novel "Fingersmith", which was okay - but I didn't think of much of it as the reviewers did. But this latest book was one that I have in my travelling package and I liked it very much. It starts in 1947 and goes backward. (this means you should probably read it twice to get it all). The characters seem real and are a bit like some of Pat Baker's WWI characters. The pivotal character, who gives the book a hopeful ending (or beginning), is not one of the main characters. But he enters their lives at important times.
Check out Sarah Water's home page. A plus for her, in my book is that all her books are published by Virago - feminist publishing house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home