Sunday, February 25, 2007

Cranberries, east & west

In preparation for my trip to Peru I searched the net for possible reads and bought a bunch of books more or less using the recommendations I found. I probably should have been more observant. I've finished two of the "finds" (both have cranberry bogs - not bloggs - in them). The first was "Green Girls" by Michael Kimball. A rainforest in Maine and another NASCAR connection (like in St. Dale). A bit too much Indian (Columbia) mysticism for my liking. Poison darts and transformations to birds and such. I probably won't go looking for other Kimball books. The second book was "The Falls" by Karen Harper. I guess I probably thought that the title, which is the same as an Ian Rankin book, might indicate better quality. However, it was a romance novel dressed up as a murder mystery. The heroine lives in Washington State, not far from Seattle. There is an Indian shaman in this one too (a trend?) as well as a cranberry bog where the heroine almost got harvested (but no NASCAR). Needless to say I won't be searching for any new Karen Harper books either (although she has written quite a few). Anyway I don't intend to carry these books back to Sweden, which will lighten my load at least.
I spent a good part of yesterday evening trying to figure out how to do a sensitivity analysis on a Leslie matrix for a univoltine insect. I think I'm going to have to give up on the matrix analysis, because there is no chance of a stable stage distribution. But there should be a solution to the problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home