Saturday, January 06, 2007

Appalachians and Scotland

Danville, Virginia has historical claims, among other things it was the last capital of the Confederate States of America - 7 days in 1865. The reason I'm writing about it is that I have recently read most of the books in the Elisabeth Mcpherson series by Sharyn McCrumb and some of them take place in Danville where Eisabeth's brother Bill has his law practice. Elisabeth is enamored with her Scottish heritage and it leads her to adventures in Scotland (and parts south in the British Isles). Thanks to my daughter's collection I was able to read 7 of the 9 books over Christmas vacation.
McCrumb is best known for the Ballad Novels mixing Appalachian stories and folk music. She seems to only want to be known for this series as her home page is exclusively about these books. I guess I can understand as the Elisabeth novels (all 9 of them) can probably be characterized as rather light-weight. But they are rather funny and an enjoyable read; there is even some seriousness as Elisabeth tries to come to terms with losing more than one loved one. My favorite character is cousin Geoffrey. A close second comes the modern day, female A.P. Hill whose hobby is civil war re-enactments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home