Sunday, January 07, 2007

New York and somewhere in England


The net is a great place to get book tips. One site; Curled up with a good book; is a place I particularly like to visit. I found a review of Claire Messud's "The Emperor's Children" and lo and behold my library had it. It felt very real when I read it, my daughter got to it first and read it in just a few days - so the family recommends it. It has a 9/11 twist, but I saw it more as how we can plan our lives so carefully and think that we are covering all bases, but events beyond our control will wreck havoc with our lives in unexpected ways. In this book the 9/11 tragedy was also a beginning for at least one character; another twist of fate changes lives.
"The Killing Art" by Jonathan Santlofer (who is also an artist) is also set in NY. This is not great literature, but an enjoyable read with pictures! Clues are given in pictorial form (see examples to the left) and the reader can form their own opinions. I liked the book enought to order the other two with the character Kate McKinnon.
Somewhwere in England is a book by Sheila Quigley called "Living on a Prayer". This one I picked up to have something to read on a trip and although I did finish it the book will go into my give away bag. I will probably not buy another book by the author anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home