Saturday, January 27, 2007

Baltimore and Indianapolis



Every year about this time I get interested in the Super Bowl. Next week the 41st will be played. And I was there at the very first one in Los Angeles (1967) - Packers vs. the Chiefs. Many empty seats and no one knowing that it would become the biggest sports event in the USA.
This year the Colts play the Bears. The player with the most hype is probably Peyton Manning (number 18 on the right), the quarterback. For me the Colt's quarterback will always be Johnny Unitas (number 19 on the left), who was part of some of my growing- up Sunday's. In case someone is missing the point about Baltimore and Indianapolis - they are the cities that have hosted the Colt's.
The Super Bowl is an appropriate preface to the book I have just finished. "The Blind Side" by Michael Lewis. My son & I really liked "Moneyball", which was a gift from my father. So one of my Christmas presents was the new book. I really liked it and you can check out the NPR link for a little of an update on Michael Oher - one of the many left tackles mentioned in the book.
Another book I've recently read has nothing to do with football, but everything to do with bears (although not from Chicago). Jasper Fforde's Nursery Crime Division is back in "The Fourth Bear". We get Goldilocks, Punch & Judy, the Gingerbread Man and much more. Although I enjoy Jack Sprat, Mary, and Ashley I must say that I am looking forward to the coming Tuesday Next book due out sometime this coming summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home