Sunday, January 21, 2007

Mark & Curtis, lower case novels

I just finished reading "a spot of bother" by Mark Haddon. I enjoyed the book, but it was not as remarkable as "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time", which I have probably given to everyone I know. But do read "spot", it is funny and tragic and luckily has a "feel-good" ending. Also check out Mark Haddon's web site. It is very well done. Another young author that has done well with her first book, "prep" is Curtis Sittenfeld. Although the book got lots of publicity I didn't come on to it until I read about it on a blog-site. Then I got lucky and found it in a used-book store. It was certainly worth reading and I will read the next book (but my library prefers translations rather than original language for this one - probably because of the probable age of the readers - young). Curtis does have a web site also (I guess everyone does these days), but I found an article in the Washington Post more interesting.
As the discerning reader may be able to understand I'm doing a bit of backlogging - trying to get my reading up to date. Maybe you understood that or you did not, doesn't matter much. Anyway two books that I should mention are "Creepers" by David Morrell and "The Oxford Murders" by Guillermo Martinez. The first was probably not worth buying, but I did so I read it; can't recommend it and it is going into my bag of books to be given to the Salvation Army. The second was more clever and an interesting read (reminds me a little of Numbers on TV). The author is a mathematician - Argentinian. Found info about it on a web site dedicated to Mathematical Fiction. The web site gives some clues as to one of the mathematical puzzels in the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home