Sunday, May 06, 2007

England and L.A.

Two of my low price books were okay reads, the first was "The Blood Doctor" by Barbara Vine. Vine, who is really Ruth Rendell, always has something interesting for her readers. This one was a bit predictable as the title mentions blood and there are lots of people mentioned who died of haemophilia. But she uses a back and forth from present to late 1800's to early 1900's, setting mostly London, but other European points as well. Sort of the historian's story together with the history (which is used alot). The second book I got cheaply by buying 4 and paying for 3 clearance sale books was "Never Count Out the Dead" by Boston Teran. I guess a lot a people like Teran as his books have either won or been shorlisted for prizes, but he was a bit bloody for me. Sort of "what a tangled web we weave" type where people think that they can solve their problems by lying, cheating, stealing, and murdering. But the book was fast of pace, had some interesting characters, and south California is always a trip. I guess I might try another Teran if it shows up on the discount table.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home