Sunday, May 27, 2007

Back in NY

I've recently read a book by Douglas Kennedy called "The pursuit of happiness". Although somewhat predictable, it was an interesting and entertaining book. I couldn't really figure out if the author condoned the extra-marital affair that was the center of the book or not. The events of the book, however, did ring true and could very well be pieces of a true story. The good news for me is that my library has more books by D. Kennedy. True to the title of this item New York is the venue for most of the book.
Another book by a NY based author was loaned to me by my daughter. "Assassination Vacation" by Sara Vowell (her latest book) was very entertaining and I recommend it. It is cheeky and left of center so you have to be up for that if you're going to read it. Sarah is a true New Yorker, although she grew up in Montana. The book, however, does not confine itself to NY. Washington D.C. site of two of the assassinations she writes about (Lincoln & Garfield) is naturally a central location for a book about presidents. There are lots of interesting facts (and tips if you want to have a strange vacation) in the book served up in an engaging and easy to follow manner. I guess I'll try the other S. Vowell book my daughter left here after her last visit. The Wikipedia entry for Sarah is very interesting - lots of radio to listen to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home