Wednesday, April 19, 2006

First names, last names


Sometimes when I take the bus home, I'll get off a little early to walk downtown. Bus number 3 stops in front of the used book store called "Röda Rummet" (The Red Room - of August Strindberg fame). Now that the weather is a bit nicer they put boxes of books outdoors (the nice-price 10 SEK (about $1)). I browsed and found a paperback - "Second Sight" by Charles McCarry. The book was supposedly the last in the Paul Christopher series (thereof the title of today's posting). But I had read the last book in the series not too long ago - "Old Boys"! Well, McCarry has written some of the most interesting spy novels I've read in a long time and they have been out of print for a long time. I guess "Old Boys" brought it back because there are now re-releases of several of the books from the Paul Christopher series available (unfortunately they are hardbacks, which means waiting or libraries). While looking for information on McCarry and his books I got sidetracked - finding more and more book-blogs. But that is probably another story - Anyway for a nice article about "Old Boys" one can go to a good book site:
http://grumpyoldbookman.blogspot.com/2005/06/charles-mccarry-old-boys.html

The picture is an Afshari rug - something that covered the hardwood floors in P.C.'s Washington home. I don't know if I'll get lucky again, but there are "nuggets" to be found at the "Red room"

Was at the theater yesterday evening. Saw "The school for wives (Hustruskolan)" by Molière. The version I saw in Stockholm was placed in Northern Africa in the 1930's (too bad that something written 400 years ago about marriage can still be believable). The treat of the evening was the main character played by Sven Wolter.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home