Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Louisiana and the English bookshop

Living in Uppsala in Sweden is special because we have the Uppsala English Bookshop. For over 10 years this place has definitely enriched my life. Now you can even purchase books on their website.

http://www.ueb.se/

The website will also tell you how to find this very special place in Uppsala. Last Saturday I had lunch with my lovely daughter. She was a bit depressed and stressed by the many happenings in her life. I hope she was more cheerful after visiting first my favorite non-book store - Claes Olsson - and then visiting the family favorite English bookshop. A new book is always if not a cure for depression at least an aleviation in the hum-drum of everyday life.

I bought (for me) the latest Dave Robicheaux ("Crusader's Cross") by James Lee Burke. I am a real Burke fan - although I'm not sure why. Good plots and good characters - but the violence in the Robicheaux novels is always excessive. The Billy Bob Holland books are also worth a read, but despite his violence (or more correctly the violence that seems to seek him out) Robicheaux is a charmer. Dave's pal Clete often uses a word - copacetic - that is very interesting - check out the following site:

What the heck does copacetic mean, anyway?

While I am on the subject of Burke - I should mention his daughter - Alafair Burke.
Her own series is now up to three books (I've only read the first two as yet, but am looking forward to the third) and Portland as a background seems to be less inducive to violence than Louisiana. More info at : http://www.alafairburke.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home