Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Helen DeWitt



I have just finished "The Last Samurai" by Helen DeWitt. The character to the left is supposed to mean Samurai - quite nice even if I've been fooled by the internet.
DeWitt's book is simply incredible. There is so much in it that it probably needs to be read several times. But also there are so many references to people and books that one should probably have references at hand to get the most out of the book. I found a good web page with lots of links about various topics in the book. A valuable reading guide I should think. The link is given at the end of this entry. The book is like riding a roller coaster - highs and lows, but also because the shift from "dead languages" to music to art to more mundane things like playing cards keep you on your toes. I recommend the book and hope that I will be able to read it again soon - but this time with reference books and internet access to extract all the many allusions.

http://www.authortrek.com/helen_dewitt_page.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home