Sunday, March 19, 2006

Minnesota, Middle East, and New Jersey

Aurora, Minnesota is the home of Cork O'Connor created by William Kent Krueger - you can read about the place at the following website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora,_Minnesota

There are 5 Cork books, but the last hasn't come out in paperback as yet so I haven't read it either (not in my local library either). They are entertaining, not great literature but they pull you along as you try to figure out "who done it".

The Middle East part of today's title is not a book, but a movie. I saw "Syriana" a few days ago. Quite a good movie, it almost had you rooting for the suicide bomber - not quite, but their desperation was palpable. Based on a book by Robert Baer ("See no evil"). George Clooney is interesting, he has done many a poor movie (but winners at the box office) but manages to do some really good stuff as well - "Syriana" qualifies (although I couldn't watch the torture session) as does "Brother, Where art thou". I'm looking forward to the Edward R. Murrow movie.

Finally the week ended in New Jersey with everyone's favorite Stephanie Plum. Janet Evanovich's "Eleven on top" (this one was in my local library) was an entertaining read, but not among the best of the Plum books, too few laughs and too many old gags. She should find some new characters instead of only using the old ones. On Evanovich's web page the hype is on for the next book "Twelve sharp". I found another critical voice - check it out.

http://www.mrsgiggles.com/books/soapbox/steph_plum.html

I probably should be ashamed of myself for putting this stuff into cyberspace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home