Monday, March 13, 2006

Annie and my mother

About 12-13 years ago my mother sent me a book by Annie Proulx - "Postcards". I thought it was simply wonderful. But for Annie's books, one has had to wait. When "The Shipping News" came it took me by surprise, so different than the earlier book; but equally a great reading experience. Much variety, but always excellent writing (in my opinion), have characterized her books and short stories. But now there is the movie Brokeback Mountain, which I have just recently seen. It took my breath away. The heartbreaking scenery as a backdrop to a heartbreaking story, but a story where the important moments of being in love were authentically portrayed. It was a forbidden love between two men, but it could have been all the other love stories where all manner of star-crossed lovers were doomed to live a lifetime in longing. Thanks to Annie for writing it and thanks to my mom who is a reader who shares.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home