Saturday, July 15, 2006

Two old and one new

I couldn't resist buying Laurie R. King's new Kate Martinelli book - "The Art of Detection". Both Sherlock Holmes and the Marin Headlands' military fortifications across the Golden Gate from SF play important roles in this delightful book. The story within the story is well worth the read. Otherwise Kate's life has been updated and continues on a positive note, not as dark as the earlier books.
The second old series is the lateste Lincoln Rhyme/Amelia Sachs by Jeffery Deaver - "The Cold Moon". Thanks to my favorite internet book store I can often get relatively new releases at really discount prices, I'm not sure how they do it - but it is great for me. This latest Rhyme/Sachs was, as always, fun to read; but it was not one of the better. Although I enjoy the characters in this series, I think that Deaver actually does a better job at suspense in his stand-alone books - "The Devil's Teardrop", for instance.
The new series is Conn Iggulden's Emperor series about Julius Caesar. I have read the first book and am on the second. It is interesting to read these books and compare with Colleen McCullough's very long and very enjoyable Maters of Rome series. The other opportunity for comparison is the HBO series "Rome", which is being sent on Swedish TV this summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home